Anchin’s Matrimonial Advisory Group provides a complete analysis of all the tax and financial aspects related to matrimonial matters and settlements. Our professionals offer a wide range of both pre- and post- divorce services.
- Review of previously filed income and gift tax returns
- Assistance with data collection for financial affidavits
- Preparation of net worth statements
- Review of separation/divorce agreements for tax implications on proposed settlements
- Assistance with innocent spouse relief
- Assistance with locating hidden assets through forensic examination
- Review of the appropriate legal ownership of assets
- Assistance with determination of alimony/palimony requirements including:
- Individual income and expense analysis
- Personal budget preparation
- Assistance with the calculation of child support needs
- Post divorce income and estate tax planning and compliance
- Bill paying and other personal financial services
- Analysis of retirement planning options
- Analysis of mortgage and debt
- Analysis of life insurance levels and types
- Communication Is Key to the Successful Transfer of WealthJune 29, 2021
In our experience, surprises can often be avoided by having a family meeting to explain the main goals of the estate distributions well before the grantor passes.
- Time is (Like) Money - How to Make Sure You Have EnoughJune 1, 2021
Successful people have busy lives. Entrepreneurs, C-Level and financial service executives’ days (and nights) are filled with making important business decisions and attending client, investor and board meetings. They typically have a sophisticated and complicated financial picture. weekends creating spreadsheets to track investments and personal financial obligations should not be the reward for creating multi-generational wealth.
- High Commitment to Clients' Needs Delivers ResultsMay 6, 2021
Anchin Private Client is honored to have been named “Best Tax Advisor” by the 8th annual Family Wealth Report Awards. This piece shares some thoughts from Jared Feldman, Leader of Anchin Private Client, on what makes the team successful and pays tribute to the many people, both within Anchin and among our clients’ other trusted advisors, that make excellent client service possible.
- Five Financial Steps for the “Suddenly Single”February 24, 2021
Becoming “suddenly single” due to divorce or death of a spouse is challenging both emotionally and financially. This is true in any environment, but it is even more so during a pandemic when there is already so much uncertainty.
- A Tax Checklist for Newly Married CouplesJanuary 21, 2021
Marriage changes a lot of things, taxes and other matters are on that list. Newlyweds should know how saying “I do” can affect their tax situation and other matters.
- Three Anchin Professionals Named to Crain’s New York Business 2020 List of Notable Women in Accounting and ConsultingOctober 8, 2020
Anchin is proud to recognize Lami Ajibesin, Mela Garber and Terry Pissi for being awarded inclusion on Crain’s Notable Women in Accounting and Consulting list for 2020.
- Prenups and Late-in-Life MarriagesJuly 15, 2020
Late–in-life marriages are becoming increasingly common as some couples wait longer to get married for the first time and others choose to try marriage again following a divorce or death. But whether it is a first marriage or second -- or third -- there are unique financial planning issues that come with late-in-life marriages.
- How Marriage Influences Your TaxesFebruary 28, 2020
This month, Anchin Private Client Tax Leader Mela Garber discussed tax and marriage with Yahoo! Finance. The segment provided insight into a variety of considerations. “The Center” sat down with Mela to help dive into the details.
- What to Know About the Marriage Tax PenaltyFebruary 20, 2020
Tax reform helped level the playing field, but married couples may still find themselves at a disadvantage at tax time.
- The Financial Considerations of Marrying Later in LifeFebruary 28, 2019
While there are benefits to later-in-life marriages, there are also financial considerations to keep in mind, as each spouse is more likely to enter into the marriage with their own financial assets and responsibilities. As a lot of planning goes into the “big day”, there are a few details that should not be overlooked.
- Changes Affecting Divorce in Light of the Tax Cuts and Jobs ActJune 28, 2018
The new law applies to divorce or separation agreements executed after December 31, 2018, which means that divorcing spouses will have a good reason to finalize their divorce by the end of the year.
- Estate Planning for Blended FamiliesJanuary 31, 2018
With an assortment of family members, individuals need to be diligent in maintaining updated documents to avoid or mitigate potential issues.
- Legal Issues Facing Women in RetirementNovember 2, 2017
Tax Principal Mela Garber shares her perspective on late-in-life financial management and what is necessary for women to have financial success.
- Why Couples Should See a Financial Adviser Before They Get MarriedNovember 1, 2017
Mela Garber, Leader of Anchin's Matrimonial Advisory Group, describes how older engaged couples with unequal means sort in advance how they will pay expenses in their marriage.
- A Prenup Can Protect Your InvestmentsOctober 18, 2017
Lydia Vercelli, Member of Anchin's Matrimonial Advisory Group, presents some viable alternatives to the standard agreement.
- How to Protect Your Assets Without a PrenupOctober 14, 2017
Mela Garber, Leader of Anchin's Matrimonial Advisory Group, shares how—and why—to keep your premarital funds safe.
- 7 Little-Known Financial Benefits of DivorceSeptember 29, 2017
Mela Garber, Leader of Anchin's Matrimonial Advisory Group, discusses the benefits of conservative investing, and home downsizing.
- Alternatives to a Prenuptial AgreementAugust 22, 2017
In this day and age when the divorce rate is trending up, one can never be too prepared. In the absence of certainty, planning for the unknown and learning your options are the next best thing.
- The Pitfalls of Keeping the HouseMay 30, 2017
One of the most common questions during a divorce is “Who gets the house?” Though maintaining the ownership of the family home may be the desired result, there are potential financial burdens that should be considered before making this decision.
- Gray Divorce: The Financial Challenges and OpportunitiesApril 20, 2017
Mela Garber, Leader of Anchin's Matrimonial Advisory Group, explains why some older couples may separate and advises women who married young and may not have financial experience to work with a financial planner.
- How to Get Your Ex-Spouse's Social Security BenefitsDecember 1, 2016
Anchin Social Security Benefits expert, Richard Stieglitz, points out the odd quirk that lets multiple divorcees pick their benefits based on the highest earning ex-spouse.
- How to Talk About a Prenuptial AgreementJune 1, 2016
It’s hard to think of a good time to introduce a contractual component to unconditional love.
- Why You May Need A PrenupApril 1, 2016
If a prospective couple plans to sign a prenuptial agreement, it’s wise to design the agreement with an estate plan in mind.
- What we can learn about prenups from the Ben Affleck-Jennifer Garner divorceJuly 4, 2015
Earlier this week, the world learned that beloved Hollywood couple Jennifer Garner, 43, and Ben Affleck, 42, have decided to split—ten years and one day after their wedding.