Insightsstream of knowledge
Join us on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 for the annual New York Construction Awards, presented by Anchin in cooperation with the New York Building Congress (NYBC) and industry partners, the American Council of Engineering Companies of New York (ACEC-NY) and the General Contractors Association of New York (GCA). Read More
Paul Gevertzman, tax partner, cautions us to avoid simple mistakes that might trigger scrutiny and explains the risk of writing off a small business loss the IRS might not see as deductible. Read More
- Anchin Recognized as one of the Best Companies to Work for in New York State for the Tenth Consecutive Year2/21/2017
Anchin, a leading assurance, tax and advisory firm, is pleased to announce that, for the tenth consecutive year, it has been named one of the Best Companies to Work for in New York State for 2017.
- Match Group CEO Wins Tax Case By Arguing His Heart Was In Texas With His Dog2/19/2017
Tax Partner, Barry Weisman, explains how Greg Blatt's dog was the evident tie-breaker in the decision.
- Defendant’s Participation in Litigation Waives Right to Compel Arbitration2/16/2017
In our litigation, forensic and valuation services practice, we are often involved in cases where there is a question of whether or not an arbitration provision in an agreement can be enforced.
- Anchin Construction & Development Forum2/9/2017
The third annual Anchin Construction & Development Forum was held on February 9, 2017 at the TKP New York Conference Center. Hundreds of incredible, high-level professionals whose work greatly impacts the real estate, construction, architecture and engineering landscapes of the greater New York City area, came together to discuss trends, forecasts, ideas, innovations and other relevant topics.
- Five Technology Innovations Shared2/9/2017
At the 2017 Anchin Construction & Development Forum, Mark Boekenheide of Hudson Yards, Jonathan Drescher of The Durst Organization, James Hannah of Bright Power, AJ Pires of Alloy, Peter Rosenthal of Savanna and Mitchel Simpler of Jaros, Baum & Bolles discussed the exciting and often risky topic of innovation as it relates to construction, design and development in and around NYC.
- No bills to build: The construction lending environment is tighter than ever2/9/2017
Anchin Construction and Development Forum panelists on how unwelcoming the market is to newcomers
- Rechler wonders: Maybe the dysfunctional Port Authority should be dismantled?2/9/2017
Anchin Construction and Development Forum keynote speaker, RXR Realty CEO & Chairman Scott Rechler, on the state of the Port Authority
- Cuomo Rebrands Start-Up NY2/8/2017
At the end of January, Governor Cuomo announced proposed changes to Start-Up NY, an economic development program created in 2013 to provide a 10 year tax-free environment for companies looking to open or expand business on or near college campuses, primarily in upstate New York. The program received widespread criticism, questioning both its fairness and its effectiveness.
- Arbitration Panel’s Award Determined to be a Reasoned Award2/8/2017
When a member of Anchin, Block & Anchin’s Litigation, Forensic and Valuation Services Group serves as an arbitrator, one of the things he or she needs to consider is whether his or her decision should be contained in a simple award or in a reasoned award; if the latter, how much detail needs to be included in the reasoned award.
- The Government is Holding Millions in Unclaimed Retirement Money2/7/2017
Barry Weisman, Tax Partner, illustrates how searches in the wrong state can leave large retirement accounts unclaimed.