Real estate owners, developers and managers are confronted with many challenges every day. Whether it is conducting due diligence for a purchase or executing a 1031 exchange, you’ve got a lot to juggle. Anchin has been helping real estate companies maximize cash flow, develop innovative tax strategies and working with management to evaluate transactions for more than 90 years.
Real estate owners and families need to maximize tax efficiency, structure deals favorably and execute efficient estate plans. Assistance with strategic planning, tax planning, lease consulting and testing, cost segregation, litigation support, and state and local tax services (SALT) are just some of the ways Anchin maximizes value for clients.
A well designed and properly executed tax strategy can both maximize returns to investors and provide funds for additional acquisitions. Our tax professionals are experienced with the tax advantages available in the real estate industry and utilize their expertise to your benefit. The result is a logical strategy that works for both you and your business.
To sign up for our Real Estate email list, click here.
Tailored real estate tax planning from professional CPAs:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Real estate due diligence/acquisition due diligence (141 allocations, FIN 46)
- Tax structuring and compliance
- Executive compensation
- State and local taxation
- Private client tax and advisory
- Restructuring and bankruptcy
- Lease consulting/lease testing
- Litigation support
- Cost segregation
- Wealth management
- Insurance review
- Business accounting and taxation
- Financial outsourcing (back office support/bookkeeping)
- Strategic planning
“We have known you as a friend and a business advisor since 2005. Not only are you our accountant and business advisor, but you have acted as a sounding board on a regular basis. If we need to reach you or one of your partners, we are always able to get through. As we have sought answers and approaches to new issues and challenges, your experience in the business world has been invaluable. Thank you for being our expert partner.”
-Jonathon Yormak, Co-Founder & Managing Principal, East End Capital
Our clients range from start-ups to well established funds, and our expertise and suite of services allow us to assist funds throughout each phase of their growth or lifecycle.
For funds that may be at the early stages and need assistance in forming a new fund, we have been instrumental in guiding them through the formation phase. We work directly with the funds’ attorneys to create a structure that will maximize tax benefits and promote the efficient operation of the entity.
For established funds, we conduct financial statement audits and perform in-depth operational audits from a system analysis viewpoint on a recurring basis.
Audit and Assurance Services
- Financial statement audits of real estate investment funds in accordance with GAAP and the Investment Company Guide
- Financial statement audits in accordance with income tax basis
- Audits of investee companies
Accounting Consulting Services
- Review and evaluate internal control environment of the management company and of the fund
- Technical accounting consultations, including reporting requirements
Tax Compliance Services
- Prepare federal, state and local partnership tax returns of the fund and the underlying investments
- Prepare K-1’s
- Foreign tax compliance
Tax Consulting Services
- Assist with tax efficient structuring of the fund
- Assist with acquisition and disposition of investments
- Operational due diligence
- Mergers of funds
- Tax planning
- Cost segregation studies
Back Office Services and Special Procedures
In addition to our traditional role as auditors and tax compliance specialists, we offer a full range of services designed to assist in back-office administration for real estate funds. Through the use of proprietary software, customized for each client, we provide streamlined reports on performance of investments and the allocation of income to the members of different tiers.
- Testimonial: East End Capital
"Not only are you our accountant and business advisor, but you have acted as a sounding board on a regular basis. If we need to reach you or one of your partners, we are always able to get through."
- Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Substantially Limits Meals and Entertainment DeductionFebruary 14, 2018
The 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act introduced some significant limitations to the meals and entertainment deduction. The new law makes two major changes to the meals and entertainment rules, which can impact your business.
- Amazon short list favors East Coast metrosJanuary 22, 2018
Robert Gilman and Marc Wieder, Co-Leaders of Anchin's Real Estate Group, remark upon Amazon’s widely anticipated short list of cities that made the cut for the next stage of its headquarters race.
- Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Offers Favorable Tax Breaks for Real Estate OwnersJanuary 3, 2018
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), which was signed into law on December 22, offers the real estate industry a treasure trove of tax breaks. Overall, most Real Estate companies and owners will come out ahead under the new tax law, but there are a number of tax breaks that were eliminated. Here are the most important changes in the new law that will impact the real estate industry.
- Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Offers Favorable Tax Breaks for BusinessesDecember 28, 2017
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), which was signed into law on December 22, contains a treasure trove of tax breaks for businesses. Overall, most companies and business owners will come out ahead under the new tax law, but there are a number of tax breaks that were eliminated or reduced to make room for other beneficial revisions. Here are the most important changes in the new law that will affect businesses and their owners.
- The Tax Reform: NY CRE Experts Weigh InDecember 27, 2017
Although obvious effects of the tax reform will be felt in filing 2019 returns, Marc Wieder and other real estate pros advise caution.
- Congress passes biggest tax bill since 1986December 21, 2017
On December 20, the House passed the reconciled tax reform bill, commonly called the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017” (TCJA), which the Senate had passed the previous day. It’s the most sweeping tax legislation since the Tax Reform Act of 1986. The bill makes small reductions to income tax rates for most individual tax brackets, significantly reduces the income tax rate for corporations and eliminates the corporate alternative minimum tax (AMT).
- Federal tax bill boosts New York real estate, hurts home ownershipDecember 19, 2017
Anchin partner Marc Wieder discusses the federal tax bill, and how the cap of the State and Local Tax (SALT) deduction at $10,000, combined with a new mortgage interest rate deduction could have a deeply negative impact on the housing markets in New York City, Long Island and Westchester County suburbs.
- Partnership Agreements and LLC Operating Agreements Need to Be Amended Now!December 4, 2017
Marc Wieder, Co-Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Group, encourages revising agreements to reflect new legislation.
- New York City Takes a Step Towards Tax Relief for Small Businesses in ManhattanDecember 1, 2017
The New York City Council passed a bill that will relieve many businesses in Manhattan of a portion of their tax expense.
- Year-End Tax Planning for Businesses: Looming Tax Reform Creates Planning ChallengesOctober 30, 2017
As the end of 2017 approaches, the prospect of dramatic tax reform makes year-end tax planning especially challenging. In late September, the Trump administration and Republican congressional leaders unveiled their Unified Framework for Fixing Our Broken Tax Code. The framework proposes reduced tax rates for businesses as well as changes to a variety of business tax benefits. But there’s a great deal of uncertainty over when — and if — tax reform will be implemented and which proposals could make their way into possible new tax legislation.
- Major finance firms are now targeting Brooklyn, says Industry City leasing directorOctober 19, 2017
In a panel moderated by Anchin's Robert Gilman, real estate industry leaders spoke about Brooklyn's emergence as a new office market, and how the key to the borough's future will be attracting more traditional companies.
- Sales and Use Tax Exemptions Extended for Certain Property and Service Purchases for Leased Commercial Office Space in Lower ManhattanSeptember 19, 2017
Amendments have been made to the Tax Law that will extend tax incentive opportunities for businesses that locate or relocate offices in lower Manhattan.
- Large Equifax Cybersecurity Breach Could Affect 143 Million People – Are You One Of Them?September 11, 2017
Last week, Equifax announced a large cybersecurity breach that compromised personal information of up to 143 million Americans. The breach, which occurred between mid-May and July was discovered in late July.
- Maximizing Your Inheritance ValueAugust 21, 2017
Robert Gilman, Co-Practice Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Group, explains how to determine the best assets to transfer, the potential tax liability and the possibilities for discounts greater than what you might have otherwise expected to pay.
- 1031 'Like-Kind' Exchanges Are Under Fire AgainJune 29, 2017
Co-Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Industry Group, Robert Gilman, provides clear context as to why 1031 exchanges are valuable to real estate investors.
- Tax Developments Could Place Chill on Real Estate Deal FlowJune 19, 2017
Robert Gilman, Co-Practice Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Group, discusses the proposed changes to how carrried interest is taxed.
- Space exploration: The solutions to land scarcityJune 9, 2017
Marc Wieder, Co-Practice Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Group, explains some of the latest development trends designed to combat this issue.
- Key aspects of 421a remain foggyApril 12, 2017
Co-Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Industry Group, Robert Gilman, comments on the newly revived 421a developer tax exemption, now called “Affordable New York”
- Five Technology Innovations SharedFebruary 9, 2017
At the 2017 Anchin Construction & Development Forum, Mark Boekenheide of Hudson Yards, Jonathan Drescher of The Durst Organization, James Hannah of Bright Power, AJ Pires of Alloy, Peter Rosenthal of Savanna and Mitchel Simpler of Jaros, Baum & Bolles discussed the exciting and often risky topic of innovation as it relates to construction, design and development in and around NYC.
- Anchin Construction & Development ForumFebruary 9, 2017
The third annual Anchin Construction & Development Forum was held on February 9, 2017 at the TKP New York Conference Center. Hundreds of incredible, high-level professionals whose work greatly impacts the real estate, construction, architecture and engineering landscapes of the greater New York City area, came together to discuss trends, forecasts, ideas, innovations and other relevant topics.
- Rechler wonders: Maybe the dysfunctional Port Authority should be dismantled?February 9, 2017
Anchin Construction and Development Forum keynote speaker, RXR Realty CEO & Chairman Scott Rechler, on the state of the Port Authority
- No bills to build: The construction lending environment is tighter than everFebruary 9, 2017
Anchin Construction and Development Forum panelists on how unwelcoming the market is to newcomers
- 2016 Real Estate Year-End Tax Planning UpdateDecember 21, 2016
Along with the results of the 2016 presidential election comes a dramatic shift in the political priorities of those in power and a strong likelihood that drastic tax reform lies ahead in 2017. While many of the details are still unknown and may not be fully actualized and actionable until well into the next year, getting a head start on planning and understanding the impact of various potential scenarios as early as possible is essential.
- What You Need to Know About Sales and Use TaxDecember 13, 2016
An increasing amount of building owners and management companies are being audited by states for Sales and Use tax compliance. These audits are resulting in firms being assessed for thousands of dollars in taxes, interest, and, in some instances, penalties.
- Supply Glut, Luxury Boom Are Jeopardizing Brooklyn's Value PlayDecember 5, 2016
On December 2, 2016, Co-Practice Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Industry Group, Marc Wieder, moderated a panel on the Retail & Hospitality Boom at Bisnow's 5th Annual Brooklyn State of the Market.
- Joint ventures: Look before you leapOctober 7, 2016
Partnering up with another construction firm can be beneficial, if you understand the inherent risks with a joint venture. Anchin's Marc Newman tells Real Estate Weekly why it's important to look before you leap.
- Blame the Banks for All Those Boring Chain Stores Ruining Your City September 22, 2016
Marc Wieder, Co-Practice Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Group, explains that some landlords are more concerned with maintaining a high resale value than maintaining steady rent income at all costs.
- Should I invest in triple-net lease properties?August 10, 2016
Marc Wieder, Co-Practice Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Group, weighs the pros and cons of investing in a property with a triple-net lease.
- How to Buy Property With a Spouse, Friend or Business PartnerJuly 21, 2016
Marc Wieder, Co-Practice Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Group, points out that in the case of buying property with a spouse, it might be wise to place ownership in the name of the individual contributing the funds for purchase.
- How Does Tax Reform Impact You?
The Trump Administration passed an intricate and complex tax reform bill just before the close of 2017, but what will this mean as we move
- Tax Ideas for a Booming IndustryMarch 20, 2017
The construction industry is alive and well in 2017. As a major force in New York and the greater US economy, it employs more than
- What is a Capital Expenditure?January 1, 2015
IRS Changes Rules on Capital Expenditures Effective January 1, 2014! The IRS published important and long awaited temporary regulations on December 23, 2011, that provide guidance
- The ABCs of Real EstateJanuary 1, 2015
Acre: A parcel of land that measures 43,560 square feet. Ad Valorem Taxes: Property taxes on the assessed value of property. Adjustable Rate Mortgage (ARM):
- Cost Segregation GuideJanuary 1, 2014
What is Cost Segregation? As a result of a tax case, Hospital Corp. of America, et al. v. Commissioner, 109 TC 21, Code Sec. 168, significant
- Real Estate of Times Square 2013January 31, 2013
Photo Gallery for The Real Estate of Times Square 2013 held at The Harvard Club NYC
- Anchin Webinar: Tax Reform Discussion - How will the Bill Affect You? Get the Answers; Not Just the FactsJanuary 12, 2018
In this recorded webinar, Anchin assembled a panel of top professionals from varying viewpoints, including Real Estate, Financial Services, Professional Services, Technology, and Private Client to have a Q&A session on the effects of the new tax reform.
- Things Real Estate Families Need to ConsiderJune 6, 2017
Anchin Partner and Real Estate Group Co-Practice Leader Robert Gilman discusses important considerations for families that have real estate businesses, including strategies for the transferring of assets and planning with family dynamics in mind.
- Top 4 Misconceptions about Condo InvestmentsApril 20, 2017
Anchin Partner and real estate practice co-leader Robert Gilman discusses capital gains versus ordinary tax rates, differences between the way condos and rental properties are
- Larry Silverstein's Career StoryFebruary 11, 2016
Larry Silverstein of Silverstein Properties was the keynote speaker for the 2016 Anchin Construction and Development Forum. He told the story of his career and
- Larry Silverstein on 2 World Trade February 11, 2016
Larry Silverstein of Silverstein Properties speaks about his initial and overall reactions to working with Bjarke Ingels on Two World Trade at the Anchin Construction
- Larry Silverstein on TAMI InterestsFebruary 11, 2016
Larry Silverstein of Silverstein Properties spoke about the atypical office environments of the Four World Trade Center TAMI (technology, advertising, media, and information) tenants at